Ebor Political Consultants Limited is an independent political consultancy service for campaigns, charities, organisations and progressive Parliamentarians.
Clients, past and present, include:
- Anas Sarwar MSP
- Best for Britain
- Catherine Stihler MEP
- Creative Commons
- Daniel Johnson MSP
- Ian Murray MP
- Ian Murray for Labour Deputy Leader campaign
- Jackie Baillie for Scottish Labour Deputy Leader campaign
- Jo Cox Foundation
- John Smith Centre for Public Service
- Kezia Dugdale MSP
- Martin Whitfield MP
- Open Knowledge Foundation
- Our Future Our Choice
- Remembering Srebrenica Scotland
- Scotland in Union
- Scottish Fabians
- Scottish Parliament Cross-Party Group on Cancer
- Scottish Parliament Cross-Party Group on Tackling Islamophobia
- /Together coalition.
Alan Roden - employment history
Ebor Political Consultants Limited
January 2019 – present
- Independent consultancy service for campaigns, charities, organisations and progressive Parliamentarians across the UK. Website design and content.
Quantum Communications Group Limited
December 2018 - present
- Director at Quantum Communications, an integrated public relations and public affairs agency. Led by a team with senior experience in media, government and the corporate environment, providing trusted and effective advice to help clients achieve their organisational goals. www.quantumcommunications.co.uk
November 2017 – present
- Freelance political columnist, writing regularly for The Herald, The Scottish Sun and other national and local newspapers. Current affairs commentary for the BBC and STV. Public speaking engagements including CIPR and universities. Judge for the Scottish Press Awards.
September 2017 – present
- Communications and policy advice for leading parliamentarians in the Scottish Parliament and European Parliament.
- May 2018 - present: Senior Parliamentary Adviser to Anas Sarwar MSP.
- April 2018 - January 2019: Head of Communications, Catherine Stihler MEP
- February 2018 - December 2018: Senior Parliamentary Adviser to Kezia Dugdale MSP.
- September 2017 - November 2017: Communications Director, Anas Sarwar for Scottish Labour Leader campaign.
September 2016 – September 2017
- Responsible for communications strategy, reporting directly to the leader. Chief-of-staff during election campaigns and strategic communications adviser to Shadow Cabinet politicians in UK and Scottish parliaments.
- Line-manager for press and digital officers, responsible for media relations with the UK’s most senior journalists and editors, and the party’s lead on stakeholder engagement and public affairs. Responsible for all internal communication within the party and external communication with voters – including direct-to-consumer correspondence and brand creation and management. Liaison with the Leader of the Opposition Office, Parliamentary Labour Party, and senior party figures including Gordon Brown.
- Editing of General Election manifesto, speech-writing including keynote conference addresses and scripts for First Minister’s Questions, forward-planning and event management, crisis communications and campaign strategies. Lead negotiator for broadcast debates, liaison with governments and parties during national emergencies, media training for politicians, and budget management. Responsibility for all press releases and digital output, including the party's website.
Scottish Political Editor
November 2008 – September 2016
- Most senior political writer for the Daily Mail newspaper in Scotland, reporting from the Scottish Parliament and the House of Commons. Responsibility for setting news agenda across the UK, with around 50 front page articles published every year. Member of the Scottish Parliamentary Journalists' Association and the UK Parliament Lobby. Reporting on: General Elections; Scottish Parliamentary elections; Scottish independence referendum; EU referendum; education; health; the economy; food and drink; housing; crime; transport; environment.
- Interviews with the world’s most senior politicians, including Prime Ministers and Cabinet Secretaries; engagement with senior business leaders and decision-makers; editorial leader writing, commentary, public speaking engagements including CIPR, and political commentary for the BBC. Campaigns including: introduction of plastic bag charge; use of firearms on routine police patrols.
- Scottish Press Awards: winner - political journalist of the year 2012; winner - scoop of the year 2017; winner - campaign of the year 2016; short-listed - political journalist of the year 2011 and 2013.
Secretary and Treasurer
Scottish Parliamentary Journalists’ Association
December 2013 – August 2016
- Chairing meetings and press conferences with Prime Ministers and First Ministers, defending the working rights of journalists, liaising with parliamentary authorities; promoting gender equality, arranging high-profile events, and managing all finances and administration.
Edinburgh Evening News
July 2004 – October 2008
- Several senior roles including city council reporter, transport and environment reporter and health reporter. Reporting on local, national and international news. Opinion columns, radio commentary, travel features, restaurant reviews and feature articles including from Ethiopia with Save the Children.
- Scottish Press Awards: short-listed - scoop of the year 2007; short-listed - journalist team of the year 2006; short-listed - campaign of the year 2009.
Community Reporter / Columnist
Yorkshire Evening Press
September 1995 – April 1998
- Community reporter for local villages, regular news reports and features. Weekly opinion column for younger audience.
Ebor Political Consultants Limited. Registered in Scotland. Company number SC616654.